Sunday, January 14, 2007
Family mending
Today was a very important day in Jeff and my new search for a better life. For both of us our parental relationships, I guess I could say family lives in general, have always been rocky. Over the past year I have been fortunate enough to develop the kind of relationship with my parents that I had only hoped to have at one time. The funny thing was that it took me getting married to really change how my parents saw me. They now want to be involved in my life like they have never been before. They are also very proud of the many steps that I have made in my life to make it better. Their support of my surgery was just that they supported my decision but they did not really want me to get this surgery. It seemed like I could have so many problems but instead I am sailing through my recovery. It was also my mother's birthday today and she, my father, my nephew and my aunt from Florida came to church today. That was great because that meant that we could be together today. It was even greater that Jeff's mom, Lynn, was finally able to come to our new church. Jeff and his mom have definitely struggled throughout the years but I get a different sense that this time of healing may be different, or maybe I should say that I hope this time will be different. I now call her "mom" which makes her feel really good. She also calls quite often and we have been able to talk like real friends. Life and family are never perfect but God is working on so many aspects of my life that I feel invigorated and inspired and hope to just continue down this great path. There are a few more relationships that we hope to mend soon but I know that patience is what is most important in this process. Things do not just usually happen overnight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment